Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Ashlea's Thoughts





I have only been in Romania three weeks and my reasons for being here have already changed. I came to Romania to be immersed in a culture much different than my own, particularly a different religious culture, so that I might be able to fully experience another part of God’s beautiful creation and better understand my relation to it. However, the emphasis of this particular program on experiential education and sustainable development has quickly come to the forefront of my time here.

Seeing the apathy that Communism has placed in the hearts of the Romanian people is quite demoralizing and often too overwhelming to comprehend. On the other hand, programs like Viata and IMPACT have shown me ways that the youth of Romania actively struggle with issues of distrust and apathy, and then try to overcome them communally. Being with them, I have been challenged with issues of development and faith and how they work together; how experiential education inspires people to trust, how faith is grown through those experiences, and how those experiences help to develop the heart of a country.

No comments: